This recipe is one of my favourites and I prepared it on a recent appearance on Rogers Daytime Peel.
Curry Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (see tip below)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained or 2 cups cooked)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp chpped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 avocado, diced
- pinch salt (optional)
- black pepper – to taste
- 4-8 slices of whole grain bread
1. In a small bowl, combine curry powder, turmeric and mayonnaise.
2. In a medium bowl, using a fork, mash the chickpeas until broken apart, but not pureed. Stir in walnuts, craberries, cilantro and curry mayonnaise, stirring until evenly blended. Gently stir in abocado. Stir in salt, if desired.
3. Spoon chickpea mixture onto 4 slices of bread, the top with remaining bread or serve open-face.
Tip: While turmeric has cancer-fighting properties, it can add a bitter note, so you may wish to replace it with an additional 1/2 tsp curry powder.
Curcurmin, the cancer-fighting compound in turmeric (pictured above), is best absorbed when eating along with black pepper, so add some pepper to the mayonnaise mixture if your curry powder does not already include it.