I’m not a fan of most dried fruit and nut cake recipes or loaf cakes. I don’t like those artificially coloured cherries which are full of added sugar not to mention all that food colouring! I modified this nut loaf recipe from its original version to make a sugar free loaf cake. You can eat this anytime, and it’s great food to take on hikes or camping. You can even make this as a healthy Christmas cake in place of traditional Christmas cake.
I like this recipe because instead of sugar-soaked and artificially coloured cherries this recipe uses dried cherries and cranberries, both of which are very good sources of cancer-fighting phytonutrients. The Brazil nuts add a blast of selenium—an antioxidant mineral. The ground flax seeds add some omega-3 fats, as well as fibre and lignans—more cancer-fighting ingredients!
If you like, you can change the ratio of Brazil nuts and dates by adding 3 cups of dates and 3 cups of Brazil nuts. In this version, I use more nuts that dates, because I love the taste of the Brazil nuts. You also may notice that there is no added sugar in the recipe! I find it just doesn’t need it. With the dates, dried cherries and cranberries, there is enough natural sweetness.
Want more recipes like this? Ready to learn how small changes to your diet can boost your immune system and help you thrive after cancer? Make sure you subscribe to my blog so I’ll send you a new post every month.
Please leave comments regarding my nut loaf. If you need help making some of your favourite comfort food recipes healthier, contact me.
- 2½ cups pitted dates cut up
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 3½ cups Brazil nuts
- 1 cup Whole Wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 eggs well beaten I suggest omega-3 eggs
- 2 TBSP rum dark
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray (mine is 5 x 9 x 2 ½).
- Mix fruit and nuts and add rum. Let sit.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, ground flax seeds).
- Mix beaten eggs with dry ingredients.
- Add rum soaked nuts and dry fruit. Continue mixing by hand until there is no flour visible in the batter.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan
- Remove from oven after 1 hour and set on cooking rack to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Let cool before slicing. This makes a great power snack, breakfast or dessert. Enjoy!